Liberty Services of America, Inc. dba Guaranteed Dry Guys is a provider of 24- hr. water restoration services in Macomb County, the Grosse Pointes, and eastern Oakland County. 586-294-3111.
When extreme temperatures strike, homeowners across the U.S. are crippled with millions of dollars in water damage to homes and buildings.
Leaving a home alone can become an expensive implication if things go astray while you are gone. And unfortunately more often than not, things do go wrong. Fortunately, there are certain things homeowners can do to protect their home and the interior possessions.
Water is the homeowner's biggest enemy. If a pipe were to burst, thousands of gallons of water can begin to flood the home. The Institute of Inspection Cleaning & Restoration Certification responds as an authority on pulling the pieces back together for home and business owners. When water damage results from cracked pipes, IICRC offers these tips for clean‐up.
To Prevent Frozen Pipes:
1. Wrap electrical heating tape on exterior pipes. Remove garden hoses from faucets.
2. Cover pipes with foam rubber or fiberglass insulation and secure it with tape.
3. Let cold and hot water faucets drip. Running water helps prevent freezing pipes and reduces pressure build up in them.
4. Inside the home, open kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors to promote warm air circulation around plumbing.
5. Leave the thermostat at the same temperature both day and night, at least 55°F.
To Thaw Frozen Pipes:
1. Locate the problem pipe, if possible, and open a faucet. As the pipe thaws, running water aids the melting process.
2. Apply heat to the frozen section using a hand‐held hair dryer or portable electric space heater. Do not use a blow torch as it could cause the pipe to explode. Do not use a propane or kerosene heater as these are hazardous for indoor use.
3. If you are unable to locate or access the frozen pipe area, call a licensed plumber.
4. If all else fails and you experience a burst pipe that results in water damage, shut off the main water valve and contact a professional water damage restoration company with trained technicians and extraction, drying and dehumidifying equipment.
If Water Damage Occurs, Tips for Clean‐Up:
1. Shut off the main water valve, if practical, and call a plumber to fix the leak.
2. Call a professional water restoration firm immediately for mitigation services, as required by your insurance policy. Professionals in the industry have the knowledge, experience and equipment to locate water wherever it goes, remove the excess, and dry your structure to industry standards.
3. Mop up standing water on flooring surfaces to prevent slip/fall hazards. If the burst pipe is overhead, drain ceiling cavities by punching “weep” holes.
4. Prevent mold growth. Although it takes a few days to appear, mold thrives on wood, paper, particle board or even household soil, when stagnant air, moisture, and temperatures between 68 and 86 degrees are present.
5. Wet clothing usually is salvageable. A 10‐minute wash cycle in detergent and hot water should sanitize washable clothing and many household fabrics.
6. Dry out before you rebuild. Professional water restorers have a variety of instruments to determine when a building is dry, to prevent on‐going microbial growth. Drying should not stop until wood or drywall moisture content (MC) falls below 16% MC. Normal MC is around 10% in most areas of the country.
When water damage occurs or you need water restoration services
Call Liberty Services of America, Inc. dba Guaranteed Dry Guys at 586-294-3111
Liberty Services' goal is not just to restore your home to its original condition after a water emergency, but to do so faster than any other company in the area using the latest technology available. We strive to build long-term relationships with our clients by providing the most outstanding service experience you've ever had.
To schedule service, call Liberty Services dba Guaranteed Dry Guys at 586-294-3111. For 24-hr. water emergencies, call 586-872-3112.
Our office is located at 24090 James J. Pompo Dr., Fraser MI 48026.
Please visit us online at www.liberty-services.com