Liberty Services of America, Inc. dba Spider Man Pest Control 586-294-3111 provides professional extermination services in Macomb County, eastern Oakland County, the Grosse Pointes, and up the coast to Algonac and Harsens Island in St. Clair County.
The following article is excerpted from www.pestworld.org (Copyright ©2016 National Pest Management Association) and offers helpful information in keeping rodents out of your living space:
Rodents seek shelter indoors, especially during the cooler fall and winter months, and once inside can cause more than just an unpleasant infestation. Rodents put homes at risk for electrical fires by gnawing through wires. More frequently, though, rodents serve as vectors, carrying bacteria, such as salmonella, on their bodies and contaminating food sources, kitchen surfaces and equipment. The common white-footed deer mouse is also known to transmit the potentially fatal Hantavirus.
Simple Rodent Control Tips
Fortunately, there are many ways homeowners can proactively prevent and get rid of rodent infestations in their homes:
1. Install door sweeps on exterior doors and repair damaged screens.
2. Screen vents and openings to chimneys.
3. Seal cracks and holes on the outside of the home, including areas where utilities and pipes enter the home, using caulk, steel wool or a combination of both.
4. Store food in airtight containers and dispose of garbage regularly.
5. Keep attics, basements and crawl spaces well ventilated and dry.
6. Replace loose mortar and weather stripping around the basement foundation and windows.
7. Eliminate all moisture sites, including leaking pipes and clogged drains that provide the perfect breeding site for pests.
8. Inspect items such as boxes, grocery bags and other packages brought into the home.
9. Store firewood at least 20 feet away from the house and keep shrubbery trimmed and cut back from the house.
10. If you suspect a pest infestation in your home, contact a licensed pest professional to inspect and treat the pest problem.
If you spot evidence of a rodent infestation, do not hesitate to act to handle the problem. Rodents are known to reproduce quickly, and a small problem can turn into a big issue overnight if left untreated.
(article source: www.pestworld.org)