Liberty Services of America, Inc. provides professional Carpet Cleaning, Upholstery Cleaning, and Oriental and Area Rug Cleaning services throughout Macomb County, Oakland County, and the Grosse Pointes MI. Residential and Commercial. Call 586-294-3111 today to schedule an appointment to make your home cleaner and healthier!
Most people are aware that outdoor air pollution can damage their health, but may not know that indoor air pollution also can have significant effects. EPA studies of human exposure to air pollutants indicate that indoor air levels of many pollutants may be 2-5 times and, occasionally, more than 100 times higher than outdoor levels. These levels of indoor air pollutants are of particular concern because most people spend as much as 90% of their time indoors. The following are ten suggestions professional cleaners make for immediate improvement of their clients’ indoor environmental quality (IEQ):
1. Keep Walkways and Entries Clean – Start by keeping outside sidewalks, entry areas, porches and steps clean. Sweep, dust, vacuum or use a leaf blower to remove soil and debris from entries to eliminate tracking into the facility.
2. Use Mats to Trap Soil at Entries – Exterior and interior mats trap and contain particles and moisture, and should be placed at each entry. This not only extends the life of the carpet, but it also greatly reduces the quantity of particles that enter and build up in traffic areas, eventually becoming airborne.
3. Clean Shoes at Entries – Studies conducted by professional engineers on carpet dust samples, indicate that fine particles containing lead are reduced by cleaning or removing and leaving shoes at the entry.
4. Purchase and Use High-Quality Vacuum Equipment – A high-quality, durable upright vacuum with brush agitation is a must. Price is not as important as quality here. Check trade or consumer magazines, and expect sales persons to provide technically accurate information.
5. Use High-Efficiency Vacuum Filter Bag – The use of high-efficiency (HEPA-type) double-lined vacuum filter bags that filter out 99% of particles down to one micron or less in size is highly recommended. Avoid cheap, paper filter bags that remove particles down to seven microns only. Small particles that easily pass through paper filter bags are a major source of respiratory irritation, as well as household dust.
6. Vacuum Frequently – Increase the frequency of vacuuming before soils sift downward and become embedded in the carpet pile. Vacuuming should be done more slowly in entry areas where most particle soils accumulate. Traffic areas should be passed over slowly two or three times. Periodic use of vacuum unit attachments or a canister vacuum to remove accumulate soils from entries and along baseboards also is recommended.
7. HVAC Filters – Use high-quality reusable electrostatic filters for HVAC systems. These filters have acrylic rods that vibrate and create a static electricity that charges soil particles, thereby attracting them to the filter. Anticipate a cost of $50 - $100 for high-quality filters. These filters should be removed and flushed free of collected soils on a monthly basis.
8. Have Carpet and Upholstery Cleaned by a Certified Professional on a Regular Basis – Professional cleaning compounds lift and suspend fine particles of soil. Then, careful extraction using hot water flushes them from carpet fibers. The objective of professional cleaning is to remove the maximum amount of soil (anything foreign to the construction of the fiber) with the least damage to the fiber.
9. Clean Other Soft Surfaces – Clean drapery, bedding and other fabric surfaces. Wash linens weekly.
10. Control Moisture and Humidity – Dust mites and mold are the two most common allergens present in higher-humidity climates. According to studies conducted at Wright State University, dust mite infestation will be eliminated if the relative humidity of the building, not just a particular area, is maintained below 50%. Molds, which are classified as fungi, require humidity of 70% or higher and a food source of organic-based material to grow. Cooler surfaces, which may have a relative humidity near 100%, create a perfect breeding area for mold. By reducing and maintaining the relative humidity of a structure below 50%, both dust mite infestation and mold growth will be prevented.
Ten steps to a cleaner, healthier environment – a small investment for such a big return in indoor environmental quality.
Liberty Services of America, Inc.
Call 586-294-3111 to schedule the best professional carpet & upholstery cleaning services.
We are located at 34090 James J. Pompo Dr, Fraser, MI 48026.
Please visit us online at www.liberty-services.com to request a free copy of The Consumers Inside Guide for Carpet Cleaning.